Thursday 16 October 2014

Chance The Rapper & The Social Experiment - No Better Blues (2014)

Might as well kick this shit off with something fresh off the presses.

Chance the Rapper dropped this song out of nowhere today and it's been generating a lot of buzz.  A stark contrast to his last big release (Wonderful Everyday), No Better Blues finds Chance in an "I hate everything" kind of mood. Everyone will be able to relate to this song on some level - we've all had days like this - but the hook ("It don't get no better") implies that this is a more permanent state of mind for Chance and there'll be plenty that can relate to that too.

The whole track is soaked in irony - delivered in a light hearted fashion with some laugh-out-loud lines about hating smirking children and asparagus as well as deadpan lines that downright contradict themselves ("I hate racists, I hate white people"), there's a true sadness behind it too.  I can't imagine going through life with depression, but it touches so many and hopefully this song can really connect with them.

I feel like Chance is one of the only artists out right now that could release a song like this and I think that's why people are drawn to him so much.

Sorry to go against the grain of the lyrics, but I LOVE this song.


No comments:

Post a Comment